The OBHC came into formation in 1996 and has been evolving since. In response to the events of the 2020 Black Lives Matter movement, as well as the social movements of other marginalized communities, the OBHC recognized space within its organization to do more in regards to diversity and inclusion. As a result, the OBHC created a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee to focus on how, as a council, we can do our part and continue to provide effective treatment in the outdoors for people of color, gender and sexuality minorities, and other marginalized groups.
The OBHC DEI Statement
OBHC recognizes and honors the resilience and contributions of the individuals, families, and communities who face systemic oppression, racism, senseless violence, and lack of accessibility to quality healthcare in their everyday lives. As an organization, we are undertaking the responsibility to educate ourselves and evolve. We aim to work towards eliminating the barriers to accessible, inclusive and equitable outdoor behavioral healthcare, employment and programming for all persons.
The Council pledges to:
- Support our community in the development of safe, inclusive, and equitable workplaces and client care standards by providing access to training and education at our Wilderness Therapy Symposiums.
- Encourage and support collaborative partnerships to ensure equitable access to and inclusion in the outdoors. This includes sponsorship of and participation with individuals, communities, programs, and other organizations supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion in the outdoors.
- Continue on-going critical self-evaluation as a Council through the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee and collectively work to achieve, maintain, and continuously assess the diversity, equity and inclusion goals in the Council’s strategic plan.
- Expect our individual member programs meet the diversity, equity, and inclusion standards found within the AEE accreditation.
- Continue supporting the OBH Center by providing data and opening our programs to external, objective review.